Euell's double lifts the Dons

Click to follow
The Independent Online
JASON EUELL scored twice as Wimbledon, after two defeats in the week, got back to their winning ways and beat inconsistent Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 at Selhurst Park. The victory lifted the Dons up to fourth in the Premiership.

Danny Wilson, the Wednesday manager, had had some severe words for his players after their abject 1-0 home defeat by Third Division Cambridge United in the Worthington Cup on Wednesday night. The pearls of wisdom clearly had not sunk in by 50 seconds past 3pm yesterday, when Jason Euell set the hosts on their way.

The Owls failed to clear Alan Kimble's throw-in from the left and when the ball fell to Euell on the edge of the penalty area he fired in his second goal of the season.

Wimbledon, back at full strength having made nine changes to the team that lost at Portsmouth in the Worthington Cup, nearly added a second in the 19th minute. Michael Hughes played a one-two with Andy Roberts but his shot flashed across the face of the visitors' goal.

All this may have amused Paolo Di Canio, one of Wednesday's two Italian imports who apparently bore the brunt of Wilson's displeasure. Di Canio had been left on the bench, while his compatriot, Benito Carbone, kept his place in the starting line-up. By the end of the first half the Owls fans were chanting Di Canio's name.

He duly appeared at the start of the second half but Wilson's men showed they had learned nothing from the mistakes of the first half as Euell added his second five minutes after the restart. Carl Leaburn again caused confusion in the Wednesday defence leaving Euell to score from 10 yards. But the voluble Di Canio had the last word when pulled a goal back six minutes from time.

In the First Division, the leaders Huddersfield Town beat Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 in a dramatic finish at the McAlpine Stadium. Paul Dalton had given the Terriers a 1-0 lead after 19 minutes but Wolves seemed to have salvaged a point when Robbie Keane equalised in the 90th minute. Huddersfield had other ideas, however, and bore down on the Wolves' goal for Ben Thornley, to score.

Of the Terriers' closest pursuers, second-placed Sunderland won resoundingly, thumping Oxford United 7-0 at the Stadium of Light - Michael Bridges, Daniele Dichio and Alex Rae all scored twice - but Birmingham City, third, were surprisingly beaten 1-0 at St. Andrews by Grimsby Town, who had lost their four previous games.

Fourth-placed Bury and Bolton Wanderers, eighth, had to be content with draws... of considerably differing natures. Bury and Tranmere Rovers finished goalless at Gigg Lane but Crewe Alexandra and Bolton Wanderers shared eight goals at Gresty Road.

Crewe had led twice before Arnar Gunlaugsson's second goal put Bolton 3-2 ahead and when Per Frandsen made it 4-2 early in the second half the visitors looked to be in control. But Mark Rivers and a Shaun Smith penalty rewarded Crewe's enterprise with a point.

Queen's Park Rangers finally gave their supporters something to cheer when Kevin Gallen's two goals were enough to beat Stockport County.