Evans breaks through in Chicago race
Monday 21 October 1996
"This has got to be the best moment of my career so far," he said. "It's my first big marathon win, and a personal best is the icing on the cake. It's good to know I'm still getting better at 35."
Evans, second in the last New York marathon and third in this year's London race, finished well clear to take the $40,000 (pounds 25,500) first prize. Evans, whose previous best was 2:10.31, joins Steve Jones, Paul Davies Hale and Eamonn Martin as British winners in the windy city.
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Latest in Sport
Arsenal 2 Hull City 0 match report: Superb Arsenal march on at the top as Nicklas Bendtner gets back among the goals
Liverpool 5 Norwich City 1 match report: Luis Suarez tears Norwich apart once again with four goals and an assist
Cricket Australia apologises for ‘racist’ Monty Panesar Teletubbies tweet
Manchester United must win 'an awful lot of games' if they are to retain the Premier League title, admits David Moyes after Everton defeat
Manchester United 0 Everton 1 match report: Roberto Martinez pulls off elusive victory that eluded David Moyes
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 How black gold was hijacked: North sea oil and the betrayal of Scotland
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
£65000 - £82000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: My client is seeking an expe...
£30000 - £42000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: Working in conjunction with ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Schools in developing countries struggle with...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...