The move by the Football Association of Ireland comes less than a week after the appointment was blocked, though there does appear to have been a compromise, with McCarthy's former second-in-command at Millwall taking the job on a part-time, rather than full-time, basis.
Evans' installation was ratified at a long meeting of the FAI's executive committee. Earlier in the day Joe McGrath, the FAI's director of coaching, told officials he was leaving to take up a similar post in New Zealand. McGrath's resignation followed the surprise departure of the FAI's chief executive, Sean Connolly, last Friday.
These developments added to the growing sense of disarray surrounding Irish football. Within 24 hours of McCarthy's appointment last month the FAI president, Louis Kilcoyne, said on Irish radio that the former Ireland team captain had not been his first choice.
"We have got to get back to what we are about, football," Des Casey, the honorary secretary of the FAI, told members of the Irish media at a specially convened press conference in Dublin last night. "We are not asking for your support - God knows we don't deserve it probably - but we are asking for your patience and understanding. We will endeavour to improve the association, particularly on the communications front, and become as transparent as we can."
Casey said the search for McGrath's replacement would begin immediately. He also announced the association would appoint managers for the national sides at Under-15, 16 and 18 levels.
It was confirmed that the Republic will compete in the US Cup tournament in June, with their first match taking place in Boston and the other two in New York.Reuse content