Everton poised to clinch pounds 5m Bilic signing: Football

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Everton were last night rushing through the pounds 5m transfer of West Ham's Slaven Bilic in time to have the centre-half signed before the transfer deadline.

The 28-year-old Croatian international met Goodison Park officials last night after deciding to leave Upton Park following talks earlier in the day, exploiting an escape clause in his contract in preference for a deal worth an estimated pounds 1m a year.

Everton are keen to have Bilic's signature quickly as they will need to process a work permit application before he can play. However, that should be arranged in the three weeks left for signings eligible to play this season.

The Newcastle manager Kenny Dalglish yesterday tried to play down reports of a training ground argument with David Ginola. The 15-minute confrontation was witnessed by fans on Thursday.

"The players sat on the grass and we had a meeting," Dalglish said yesterday. "Ginola was one of the players that was spoken to but we're not going to disclose what's involved in discussions between myself and players."

The Football Association has played down reports that England coach Glenn Hoddle has set up a crisis meeting with Premiership managers.

Hoddle was reported to have planned a summit with Alex Ferguson, Kenny Dalglish and Roy Evans in an attempt to avoid the withdrawal of many of his players from this summer's internationals.

"Although the England manager talks with all club managers on a regular basis, there is no planned summit," an FA spokesman said. Arsene Wenger, the Arsenal manager, said yesterday that any of his players selected would take part.

Comments