Football: Campbell starts fresh contract talks

Click to follow
The Independent Online
TOTTENHAM HAVE opened talks with Sol Campbell in an effort to secure his services beyond the two remaining years on his contract. And although the Spurs manager, George Graham, admits there could be "a big turnover" of players at White Hart Lane this summer, Darren Anderton and David Ginola could be the next to be offered longer deals.

Anderton and Ginola will soon be into the final year of their current contracts and nearing the stage where, under Bosman laws, they can be legally approached by other clubs who want to sign them once those deals expire.

Both have indicated they want to stay at Tottenham now that the club is back in Europe via victory in the Worthington Cup final two weeks ago, and so has Campbell, whose agent, Skylet Andrew, has been at the club this week.

Campbell said: "We are still at an early stage of a very long road. After all, I've still got two years left on my present contract but I'm certainly willing to listen to any new ideas."

Graham said: "These matters are out of my jurisdiction but I believe the club is having, or will soon have, talks with Sol about his contract. Obviously, you want to keep your best players and as far as I'm concerned there is a future here for everyone apart from two or three we've already put on the transfer list.

"But it is no secret there is going to be a big turnover of players at Spurs while I'm here. The main thing is that we need more of them because at the moment the squad is too small.

"I've made very few changes in the team since I came here in October because there has not been much room for change even though we've bought Tim Sherwood, Mauricio Taricco and Steffen Freund. I'm training with a squad of only about 18 senior players.

"We've got away with it so far, mainly because the walking wounded that always seemed to be here have suddenly got up and just walked. The treatment room is clear just now apart from the long-term injuries of John Scales and now Ramon Vega, but we may not always be so lucky.

"I'm hearing some speculation we may have a possible three new signings in the summer but I'd hope for more than that - quite a few more.

"The chairman knows what I want for the future although I haven't actually nominated any names yet because I'm still very much concerned with this season rather than next. We have just won one cup and are in the semi- finals of another. And there are some very big games left in the league.

"But I think it is inevitable players will jump in and out of clubs with increasing frequency from now on. It has been happening on the continent for quite a while and it is accepted by the fans in Europe.

"The fans here in Britain haven't quite accepted players swapping clubs one season after another but I think they'll have to get used to it because it will happen more and more."

Graham has denied suggestions there has been an approach from Kevin Keegan's Fulham for England striker Les Ferdinand.

Graham, whose side are at home to Worthington Cup final victims Leicester City today and away to FA Cup semi-final rivals Newcastle United on Monday, has already had a pounds 4m offer for the West Ham midfielder Frank Lampard turned down, but he is sure to make a fresh move.

Graham has also been linked with the Norwich City forward Craig Bellamy and the Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Robbie Keane.

Comments