Football: Dancing in the streets of Tehran
Monday 01 December 1997
Millions poured into the streets, dancing on car tops and passing out sweets and flowers. In the capital, Tehran, traffic came to a halt. In Vali Asr Square, motorists turned up their car stereos on full blast as teenagers danced on tops of public buses.
Florists and bakeries ran out of stock, with fans passing out sweets and flowers to passers-by in the traditional Iranian manner of celebration.
"It's been a great day for me," Syed Hossein, a beggar in Tehran, said. "I've earned 100,000 rials [pounds 20] in just half an hour. People are so happy that they're just tossing money at me."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...