Football: Di Matteo starts Italy's rout of Poles
Thursday 01 May 1997
Chelsea's Robert Di Matteo set them on their way after 23 minutes. Paolo Maldini, scoring at the second attempt, and Roberto Baggio, who replaced the limping Gianfranco Zola, added the other goals.
Germany finally put their World Cup campaign in gear by beating Ukraine 2-0 in Bremen, but it took them an hour to escape the Group Nine leaders' clutches. Oliver Bierhoff broke the deadlock with a left-foot shot after a 63rd-minute throw-in had been helped on. Germany wrapped up the victory nine minutes later when Mario Basler played a couple of one-twos on a run from midfield before scoring from close range.
Germany are a point behind Ukraine in Northern Ireland's group, with a game in hand.
Austria moved up to second place in Group Four, four points behind Scotland with two games in hand, by beating Estonia 2-0 in Vienna. Both their goals came in the second half, from Ivica Vastic and Peter Stoger.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
£35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior QA Engineer (Agil...
£26000 - £28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Digital Marketing Executive (SEO, PP...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our retail client ...
£400 - £450 Per Annum possibly more for the right candidate: Clearwater People...