Football: Durie on the mend after clash of heads

Click to follow
The Independent Online
The Rangers striker Gordon Durie is expected to be released from hospital today after being carried unconscious from a Scottish Premier Division match.

Durie collapsed on Tuesday night at Rugby Park during the 1-1 draw against Kilmarnock and there were concerns about his health.

Minutes earlier Durie had been involved in an accidental clash of heads with Kilmarnock's Gary Holt on the edge of the Rangers penalty area. He was taken to Glasgow's Southern General Hospital where he regained consciousness after 20 minutes.

Durie awoke yesterday with a thumping headache and refused breakfast but was well enough to receive visitors, among them was the Rangers manager,Walter Smith, and club captain, Richard Gough.

The secretary of the Scottish Players' Union, Tony Higgins, was among those who sent his best wishes to the Scotland player, but he fears that players outside the Scottish Premier Division may not receive proper medical care if they are injured in matches.

Higgins said: "We argued the case that if there is a head injury during a match, then the referee must stop the game, even if it means denying a team an advantage.

"That was what happened last night, although it was a strange one with Gordon at first seeming to be OK, then blacking out. Bobby Williamson [Kilmarnock's manager] said that if a player needed treatment after a head wound then perhaps he should stay off the pitch.

"I see his point but I think it would be difficult to impose some kind of a blanket ban on players reappearing. What is essential is that a club doctor is in attendance and that is usually the case especially in Premier Division matches.

"At least in the top division clubs are quite well covered for medical staff but further down the leagues that does not always apply.

"It is a worry that there might not be appropriate medical back-up at some clubs basically because of a lack of funding.

"But we would like to see a club doctor in attendance at every match throughout the league, preferably with a knowledge of head injuries."

John Robertson, Hearts' veteran striker, is joining Dundee on a month's loan but insists the decision was made for him.

The former Scotland international has revealed that the Tynecastle management informed him last night he will team up with the Scottish First Division leaders.

"I'm disappointed Jim Jefferies and Billy Brown don't see me involved in the next four or five games as they are important for Hearts,'' he said. "But they have said I can return to be part of the run-in. My heart is at Tynecastle and always will be.

"However I'm a Dundee player for the next month and I guarantee they will get 110 per cent from me."

Robertson has scored 270 goals in his two spells with Hearts, but the arrival of Frenchman Stephane Adam has restricted him to eight starts this term.

Finn Harri Kampman yesterday took over as coach at Motherwell and insisted it already felt like a second home.

Kampman, 43, has joined the Scottish Premier Division strugglers from Lahti on a two-and-a-half- year contract. He made his name as a coach with My-Pa 47 whose Uefa Cup victory over Motherwell in 1995 left a firm impression on the Fir Park board.

Kampman succeeds Alex McLeish who earlier this month left the club to take charge of Hibernian, the only team below Motherwell in the top flight.

"I like the fact that this is such a family club it appears very homely and yet at the same time very ambitious," Kampman said.

"With the new Scottish Premiership next season I know it is vital we are not relegated and staying up is my minimum target.

"I believe I'm moving to one of the best leagues in Europe and I was both surprised and proud to be given the challenge I have here."

Kampman's deputy, Jim Griffin, retained temporary charge for last night's home match with St Johnstone.