FOOTBALL: EUROPEAN ROUND-UP: Udinese spoil the Juve party

Click to follow
The Independent Online
THE ARGENTINIAN striker Roberto Carlos Sosa scored an injury- time equaliser as Udinese recovered from two goals down to hold Juventus to a 2-2 draw yesterday, allowing Fiorentina to move back to the top of Italy's Serie A.

Zinedine Zidane and Filippo Inzaghi had given Juve a two-goal lead inside the first 46 minutes, but Jonathan Bachini put Udinese back in the match with a 65th-minute strike before Sosa, a substitute, salvaged a point in the dying seconds.

Fiorentina took full advantage of the Juventus result with a 4-1 home win over Venezia, which included two goals from a more famous Argentinian striker, Gabriel Batistuta. The Florence side, who had relinquished the Serie A leadership to Juventus last week, are back on top with 18 points from eight matches, one ahead of the reigning champions.

There was bad news later yesterday, though, for Fiorentina, when they discovered that, as expected, they had been expelled from the Uefa Cup because of crowd trouble at their home leg in Salerno last week against Grasshopper Zurich, who now go through to play Bordeaux in the third round.

A second-half goal by Alexander Ostlund gave AIK Stockholm the Swedish league title yesterday after the previous leaders, Helsingborg, lost on the final afternoon to relegated Hacken.

Ostlund struck in the 49th minute to give AIK a 1-0 home win over Orgryte at the Rasunda stadium. They won the title with 46 points, two ahead of Helsingborg, who slumped to a shock 2-1 defeat at Hacken.

Angry Borussia Monchengladbach fans went on the rampage after their ailing team crashed 7-1 at VfL Wolfsburg in a German Bundesliga match on Saturday. Advertising boards were smashed outside Monchengladbach's Bokelberg stadium during Saturday night and there was also minor damage inside the ground.

No arrests were reported, but security was stepped up around the stadium for yesterday's training session, which was attended by dozens of journalists. Borussia's coach, Friedel Rausch, ignored their questions and simply said as he was leaving the stadium: "I think that was it."