The move follows an independent commission ruling in favour of Celtic last week after the Parkhead club protested at the delay in registering Cadete. The Portuguese forward missed vital matches towards the end of the 1995-96 season sparking a bitter three-year dispute. Yesterday's decision will delight Celtic's managing director, Fergus McCann, who had demanded Farry be sacked.
Farry issued a short statement, saying: "I will now be forced to seek legal advice. I can make no comment beyond that." It is understood Farry had requested to attend the Council meeting, but received no answer.
Celtic last night released a short statement that read: "No one likes to see anyone lose their job. However, in this circumstance it was inevitable due to the substantial evidence of Mr Farry's behaviour and attitude."
The SFA president, Jack McGinn, who has temporarily taken on Farry's duties, revealed that no vote had been taken yesterday. There was a discussion about Farry's position following a recommendation from the emergency committee last week. He said there was a procedure in place where the Council could have overturned the emergency committee's decision if there had been a two-thirds majority but there was no need to put that procedure in place this afternoon.
Farry was told on Friday evening that he had been dismissed when he received a letter from the SFA, who issued a statement saying that he had been dismissed for gross misconduct.Reuse content