Football: Forest agree to let Collymore move

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Nottingham Forest last night relented on their threat to block Stan Collymore's pounds 8.5m move to Liverpool, paving the way for Frank Clark to sign Sheffield Wednesday's Chris Bart-Williams and Arsenal's Kevin Campbell, writes Phil Shaw.

Clark and his England striker had been at odds over Collymore's claim that his contract entitled him to five per cent of the fee (pounds 425,000). But after meeting the player's agent, Clark said Collymore was free to join Liverpool. The dispute is likely to go to arbitration.

Some pounds 2m of the money will go to Wednesday, whose new manager, David Pleat, admitted he was resigned to Bart-Williams leaving. "He was made a very good offer by the previous manager, and I came in and made him a better one," Pleat said. "But his mind is made up and it looks as though we've lost him to Forest."

Bart-Williams broke into League football as a 16-year-old midfielder under Clark's supervision at Leyton Orient. Forest also expect to sign Campbell as Collymore's direct replacement.

Manchester United's turbulent summer continued yesterday when they learned that Andy Cole, their pounds 7m striker, may miss the start of next season after undergoing surgery on his calf muscles.

Darren Anderton, the Tottenham winger, remains a target for United, who are prepared to sell Lee Sharpe to Newcastle or Aston Villa and allow Andrei Kanchelskis to go to the highest bidder.

Reading have rejected a pounds 1.5m offer from Newcastle for their goalkeeper, Shaka Hislop, whom they value at more than pounds 2m.

Comments