Football: Ganz rescues Inter
Wednesday 05 March 1997
Ganz's strike, after the home goalkeeper Geert De Vlieger had fumbled an overhead kick by Marco Branca, cancelled out a 27th-minute goal by Bruno Versavel, who slammed a fierce half-volley from just outside the area past Gianluca Pagliuca following a Tibor Selymes cross from the left.
Ganz came close to a winner for Inter - trying to win the Uefa Cup for the third time in seven seasons - when he hit a post in the 88th minute. The Belgian club's coach, Johan Boskamp, said: "It isn't over yet."
In another first-leg tie, Germany's Schalke 04, trying to reach their first European semi-final since 1970, beat Valencia of Spain 2-0 in Gelsenkirchen. The defender Thomas Linke headed in a free-kick from Olaf Thon in the first half, and the Belgian striker Marc Wilmots added a late second goal.
Latest in Sport
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Required skills include SQL querying, SSRS, u...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: C#.Net Developer - C#, ASP.Net, HTML...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...