Football: Hendrie's heroics

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Barnsley 2

Redfearn 9, Hendrie 75

Newcastle United 2

Gillespie 44, 49

Attendance: 18,687

Newcastle might have brushed past the silky skills of the Ukrainians in midweek but they found the true grit of the Yorkshire men a far tougher test yesterday.

They were battered by Barnsley in the opening 20 minutes and were fortunate to concede only one goal and three bookings in that period. Although Keith Gillespie scored either side of half-time for Newcastle, the Tykes pulled level with a super strike from John Hendrie in the 75th minute.

Newcastle failed to heed a warning when Ashley Ward crept between Philippe Albert and Darren Peacock in the eighth minute to win a corner which they were unable to clear. Eventually the ball fell to Barnsley's skipper, Neil Redfearn, who had time to exchange passes with Ward before exquisitely curling his shot into the top right-hand corner.

Ten minutes later, Eric Tinkler's back-header from Matty Appleby's free- kick had Shaka Hislop back-pedalling furiously to tip over. But that was as good as it got for Barnsley as Newcastle clawed their way back. David Batty was fortunate not to join Peacock, Albert and Alessandro Pistone in the book for a frightful challenge on Ales Krizan and Faustino Asprilla was fortunate to stay on the pitch when he flung his arms at Nicky Eaden's head.

Although they were competing, Newcastle were not creating until a minute before half-time when Asprilla bundled Tinkler off the ball in the centre- circle and fed Gillespie. The winger ran 30 yards, spun around Appleby and rolled the ball past Lars Leese, the Barnsley goalkeeper, who had not had a shot to save all half.

Two minutes after the break, Leese could not decide whether to come and collect Steve Watson's long pass. Gillespie let it bounce twice before cleverly lifting it over Leese's head.

Newcastle should have gone on to win comfortably but from nowhere burst the substitute Hendrie. Cutting in from the left, he took the ball along the edge of the penalty area before unleashing a sublime shot that curled away from Hislop's out-stretched hand.

It set up a frantic final 15 minutes. Martin Bullock's teasing runs might have won a penalty for Barnsley; Jon Dahl Tomasson's chances should have sealed the game for Newcastle.