Football: Hinchcliffe decides to stay at Everton

Click to follow
Already recalled by Glenn Hoddle to the England camp, Andy Hinchcliffe will today make his week complete by signing a new four-year contract with Everton.

The 28-year-old full-back learned on Monday that his international career was back on track after after nine months of injury problems, which had also delayed negotiations regarding a new deal at Goodison Park.

Hinchcliffe, who will put pen to paper after tonight's Coca-Cola Cup home game against Scunthorpe, has now made a full recovery from cruciate ligament damage in his left knee.

His decision to stay has ended any hope West Ham had of luring him to London for pounds 1.6m. The Manchester-born Hinchcliffe, who joined Everton from Manchester City for pounds 800,000 seven years ago, would have been a free agent at the end of the season and the Hammers saw him as the replacement for the injured Julian Dicks.

Sheffield Wednesday look set to complete an pounds 800,000 deal for Petter Rudi, the Norwegian midfielder, by next week. Rudi's recent decision to reject a move to Southampton has left the way clear for David Pleat to conclude two months of talks and sign the 23-year-old international.

Gordon Strachan, the Coventry manager, is also looking abroad with a view to taking the Real Madrid midfielder Sandro on loan until the end of the season. The 22-year-old Sandro has made more than 40 first team appearances for Real, but is currently out of the side.

He has arrived at Highfield Road for a trial period and Strachan will assess the player in a private practice match later this week.

Aberdeen have put their experienced Bulgaria international Ilian Kiriakov on the transfer list. The 30-year-old midfielder has been named in the struggling Dons' first-team squad only once this season.

The former Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Peter Springett has died at the age of 51 after a four-year battle against an illness which confined him to a wheelchair.

The younger brother of the England keeper Ron, Peter joined the police after his career ended. He had been confined to a wheelchair at his home near Sheffield after two growths on his spine caused paralysis.

The Fulham-born player joined Wednesday in an exchange deal which took Ron - 10 years his senior - to Queen's Park Rangers in 1967. Peter had seven seasons with the Owls before moving to Barnsley where he stayed until his retirement in 1979. He made 510 League appearances for the three clubs.