Football: Kavanagh shatters stubborn Colchester

Click to follow
The Independent Online
STOKE CITY stretched their lead at the top of the Second Division to four points with a 1-0 win at Colchester. But Brian Little's side were made to work hard to maintain their 100 per cent record as the Essex side refused to concede anything in defence.

Colchester's hopes were dashed when Graham Kavanagh scored Stoke's winner 12 minutes from full-time.

Fulham are in second place after a 1-1 draw at Oldham. Paul Moody gave Kevin Keegan's side the 50th-minute lead, but Mark Allott equalised for the struggling hosts.

There was plenty of drama at Deepdale, where Preston moved into third place with a 2-0 win over Chesterfield. But the celebrations after goals from Jason Harris (66) and Ryan Kidd (84) were cut short by the sendings- off of Sean Gregan for Preston and Jason Lee for the visitors - both for two bookable offences.

Wycombe Wanderers, struggling at the foot of the table, were grateful for a last-minute equaliser from Danny Bulman after Barry Hayles' 84th- minute goal had appeared to give Bristol Rovers their first away win of the campaign.

Bulman's strike was enough to win the Adams Park club a point after they had lost all four opening matches.

Luton were indebted to Steve Davis for a 3-1 win at Wigan. The defender cleared a Stuart Barlow shot from his own goal line and scored Luton's opener three minutes before the break.

Barlow, the former Everton striker, netted a 62nd-minute equaliser, but two goals in two minutes from Shaun Evers and veteran Phil Gray ensured victory.

Macclesfield continue to struggle at the foot of the table. Ian Hendon's 30-yard free-kick earned the points for Notts County as Sammy McIlroy's Moss Rose side still search for their first win of the campaign.

n The former Chelsea forward Clive Walker became the first man to score 100 League goals and 100 goals in non-League football when he hit Cheltenham Town's opener in the 16th minute of their game against Barrow in the Football Conference yesterday. Cheltenham eventually ran out 4-1 winners.