Football: Leicester ticket inquiry delayed

Click to follow
The Independent Online
LEICESTER CITY say it could be a fortnight before they name any guilty parties in the Worthington Cup final ticket row.

The club are investigating claims into alleged illegal ticketing which caused segregation problems and led to violence in the first half at Wembley. Trouble flared up behind the goal at the Wembley tunnel end, which was reserved for Leicester fans.

One Leicester director, Phil Smith, has admitted he sold 42 match tickets to players and officials of Padbury United, where he is club president. But he has ignored calls from supporters' groups calling for his resignation.

Leicester's commercial director Charles Rayner said in a statement: "Leicester City FC is continuing its investigations with Wembley into ticket sales for the Worthington Cup final. We will not be releasing any information regarding this issue until the investigation has been completed, which could take up to another two weeks."

Tony Adams faces a rigorous fitness test today to determine the extent of his participation in the crucial eight-day programme which could decide the destiny of the Premiership champions' bid to repeat their League and FA Cup Double.

The Arsenal captain and England centre-half was back in light training yesterday after withdrawing from England's game against Poland with a recurrence of back and ankle problems. The big test comes today when his manager Arsene Wenger weighs up the chances of Adams facing Southampton at The Dell on Saturday, Blackburn at Highbury on Tuesday and Manchester United in the FA Cup the following Sunday.

Craig Moore's projected swift return to Rangers is nearing completion, with the player eager to rejoin the club he left earlier this season.

The Australian international defender departed for Crystal Palace for pounds 800,000 in October after he rejected a new Ibrox deal. Rangers' manager Dick Advocaat was disappointed at losing the player and now, with Palace's financial problems, is poised to welcome Moore back. Talks are ongoing with the player's agent with a view to agreeing a four-year deal.

A group of Nigerian prostitutes has threatened nude protests at World Youth Cup matches after being barred from hotels by tournament organisers. Charity Emevon of the Association of Practising Prostitutes of Nigeria said that hundreds of women would march naked through the streets if authorities did not bow to their demand to be able to operate freely.

Comments