Football: Maldini doubt for Wembley

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Italy's captain, Paolo Maldini, may miss the crucial World Cup qualifier with England at Wembley on 12 February after being injured yesterday.

The Milan defender limped off in the first-half of his club's Serie A match against Sampdoria. His injury comes after the England midfielder Paul Ince withdrew from Internazionale's match at Perugia after sustaining a thigh strain in training.

But Ince said yesterday that he expected to be fit for the match. "I think I'll be out there," Ince told Sky Sports. "But I'll only know the full truth when I see the doctor next week.

"He said that the best thing was to give it three or four days' rest, and take it from there."

Millwall are under Football Association scrutiny after fans tried to attack the referee during Saturday's home defeat by Bristol City.

If the incident and subsequent pitch invasion is viewed seriously, the troubled London club - which imposed pay cuts on players and staff last week -could face ground closure or have points deducted.

Three Millwall supporters ran on to the New Den pitch in the final minute of the 2-0 defeat and headed for the referee, David Pugh. They were headed off by defender Tony Witter, but the final whistle sparked a pitch invasion, with fans demanding that the board quit.

Steve Double, the FA spokesman, said: "We will wait to see what is contained in the reports from the police and the match officials, but any pitch invasion is viewed extremely seriously."

West Ham have failed with a bid of pounds 2.3m for Mike Sheron, Stoke City's leading scorer, while Blackburn Rovers have completed the signing of the Polish World Cup midfielder Marek Citko after agreeing a pounds 2.8m deal with Widzew Lodz.

Comments