Football: Marseilles win battle of France

Click to follow
The Independent Online
TITI CAMARA scored the crucial goal as Marseilles beat 10-man Monaco in the second leg of their Uefa Cup third-round tie last night to reach the quarter-finals 3-2 on aggregate.

The meeting of the two French league sides was decided in the 71st minute when Jocelyn Gourvennec sent a low diagonal ball from the left into the penalty area, where the big Guinean striker turned to drill a shot past France's World Cup goalkeeper, Fabien Barthez.

Monaco lost a player in the 38th minute when their Bosnian centre-back, Muhamed Konjic, brought down Christophe Dugarry as the Marseilles striker bore down on goal. Konjic was the third player sent off over the two legs.

Roma forced a 2-2 away draw with FC Zurich to secure their place in the quarter-finals with a 3-2 aggregate victory. Francesco Totti scored for Roma in the last minute, snuffing out a determined comeback by the Swiss, although the Italians would have been through anyway on the away goals rule.

With a bitterly cold evening turning the pitch into a skating rink, Marco Delvecchio nimbly pulled down a cross and volleyed home in the 14th minute to give Roma a 1-0 lead. The Zurich striker Shaun Bartlett missed a chance to equalise early in the second half when his weak penalty was saved by Antonio Chimenti. However, the South African international then made up for it by scoring twice.

In the 60th minute Bartlett headed home Jerren Nixon's free-kick and in the 79th he dribbled round Chimenti and scored from a sharp angle to made it 2-1. But Totti, who scored Roma's first-leg goal in injury time, made doubly sure his side advanced with a thundering free-kick from just outside the penalty area.

Three of the last eight come from Italy. Roma and Parma were joined by Bologna, who lost 1-0 to Real Betis in Spain but went through 4-2 on aggregate. Lyons won 4-3 in a thriller at Club Bruges, earning a 5-3 aggregate success, to also make it three French clubs in the quarter-finals. They are joined by Bordeaux, who put out Grasshopper Zurich on the away-goals rule after a 0-0 draw at the Parc Lescure.