Football Round-up: Coventry floored by late flourish

Click to follow
The Independent Online
SCARBOROUGH, of the Third Division, lived up to their motto of 'No Battle, No Victory' by scoring three times in the last 18 minutes to knock Premier League Coventry City out of the Coca-Cola Cup at the McCain stadium last night. Scarborough, trailing 2-0 from the first leg, looked to be on the way out until their late rally, including two goals in the final minute, writes Henry Winter.

Scarborough's grit shone throughout. Tommy Mooney had gone close to scoring three times before he found a way through. It looked a mere consolation until a dramatic last 60 seconds, when first Darren Foreman and then Lee Hirst brought the house down.

A second representative of the elite went out, Newcastle United overcoming their great North-eastern rivals Middlesbrough 3-1. It was Newcastle's first win at Ayresome Park since 1964. Boro's biggest crowd of the season - 24,390 - saw Newcastle score the first goal of the tie when David Kelly latched on to a long punt from Tommy Wright. Paul Wilkinson equalised with a brilliant header before Newcastle took command with goals from Liam O'Brien and Kelly again.

Newcastle will now meet Chelsea, who beat Walsall 1-0 at Stamford Bridge, Robert Fleck registering his first home goal since signing for pounds 2.1m. Dennis Wise was brought down but he kindly let Fleck take the penalty.

Derby County also found their scoring touch against Southend United, seven goals without reply giving them a 7-1 aggregate win and a third-round draw against Arsenal. Marco Gabbiadini and Paul Simpson both scored twice.

Crewe Alexandra recorded what their manager Dario Gradi called 'their best ever result' by winning 2-0 at home to West Ham United with goals from Tony Naylor and Craig Hignett. They now meet Nottingham Forest.

Ron Atkinson will return to Manchester United after Aston Villa saw off Oxford 2-1 (4-2 on aggregate) with goals from Dalian Atkinson and Kevin Richardson.