Football Round-Up: Cup blow for Chesterfield

Click to follow
A couple of minutes of madness will keep Chesterfield's young striker Kevin Davies and defender Darren Carr out of their FA Cup quarter- final against Wrexham on 9 March, the biggest game in the club's history, after a 20-player brawl near the end of their Second Division match with Plymouth Argyle at the Recreation Ground.

Argyle, already down to 10-men after Ronnie Mauge's two-footed tackle incurred the referee, Richard Poulain of Huddersfield's displeasure, were defending a 2-1 lead when Carr appeared to elbow the goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar - will nothing keep him out of the news? A fight, which Poulain said was the worst he'd ever seen, ensued. "The two number sixes were having a boxing match in the net and the two number eights were exchanging blows outside the area."

Plymouth's Tony James and Carr were sent off along with Davies and Argyle's Richard Logan. Grobbelaar was treated for concussion. "I thought the ref did well in difficult circumstances," Mick Jones, Plymouth's caretaker manager said. "I wouldn't argue with any of the decisions." Police will study video evidence before deciding whether to prosecute players.

Back to the calm at the top of the First Division where Wolves kept up their remarkable away form - and reclaimed second place - when they went to Oakwell and beat Barnsley 3-1, their 10th win on the road.

A Iwan Roberts flick-on put the Wolves striker Steve Bull clear with only one minute and 39 seconds on the watch. That scenario usually has only one ending. It was Bull's 18th goal of the season. Roberts scored Wolves' second, a header from Jamie Smith's cross, and, after Darren Sheridan had briefly given Barnsley hope, Stephen Froggatt ensured another happy awayday for Wolves.

Bolton, meanwhile, kept their 10-point lead intact when they recovered from Tom Cowan's goal at Huddersfield to win 2-1, Chris Fairclough and Gerry Taggart scoring. Sheffield United also stormed back from an early reverse when bottom club Grimsby took the lead at Bramall Lane. But a Jan Age Fjortoft hat-trick ensured a 3-1 win to keep the Blades fourth.

Norwich, fifth, were involved in a remarkable 4-4 draw at the Valley. Charlton were down to 10-men from the 28th minute when Stuart Balmer was sent off with the score 0-0. When Darren Eadie scored Norwich's fourth in the 84th minute they had a two-goal lead but goals by Jason Lee (87) and Carl Leaburn (88) made Charlton's point.