Football Round-up: Grim day for giant-killers

Click to follow
The Independent Online
THE FA Cup ran dry yesterday for most of the non-league clubs aspiring to a place in today's potentially lucrative draw for the third round, which will include Premier League and First Division teams. But on Merseyside, the enticing prospect remains of a local derby between Marine of the HFS Loans Premier Division, and Liverpool or Everton.

Marine, who have been managed by the estimable Roly Howard for 20 years, are through to the third round for the first time after beating GM Vauxhall Conference side Stafford Rangers. A three goal burst in 17 minutes either side of half-time, Eddie Murray scoring twice, put Marine firmly in charge but Rangers, who'd beaten Lincoln in the previous round, made it 3-2 with three minutes remaining. Marine survived the late barrage.

Two non-league clubs earned replays through late equalisers. Woking trailed Brighton from the 16th minute when Andy Kennedy put Albion ahead at the Goldstone Ground. But the GMVC strugglers with Cup-fighting tradition levelled through midfielder Shane Wye 18 minutes from time.

Cheltenham left it even later at Whaddon Road. Visitors Bournemouth had taken a 12th minute lead when Peter Shearer, a striker bought from Cheltenham for pounds 17,000 in 1988, showed scant gratitude to his old club. But the Beazer Homes League side had the last word - until the replay, that is - when 18-year-old substitute Christer Warren equalised seven minutes from time. It was his first senior goal. Some gratitude for a Bournemouth born and bred lad.

High hopes at Macclesfield subsided rather quicker than last week's flood waters in their local derby tie against Stockport. The GMVC side got off to the worst of starts when County striker Andy Preece caught them cold in the second minute and the second half was only nine minutes old as Paul Williams made it 2-0.

'It was the finest experience of my career,' Accrington Stanley manager Phil Staley said after his HFS Loans League side had been thrashed 6-1 by Crewe. 'I don't think the final result was a true reflection of the game, but we now have to pick ourselves up for next week.' Victorious manager Dario Gradi praised Gareth Whalley, scorer of two goals and possible successor to Craig Hignett, recently sold to Middlesbrough.

Swansea, who were beating Exeter 2-1 at St James Park when the lights went out for a second and final time four minutes from the end, are protesting the abandonment of the tie. No new date yet.

Marlow finally reached the second round. Their first round replay at Salisbury ended 2-2 after full and then extra time. The Diadora team won the penalty shoot 4-3. Next, VS Rugby.

SECOND-ROUND REPLAYS (7.30pm unless stated): 15 Dec: Shrewsbury v Burnley. 16 Dec: Woking v Brighton (7.45), Bournemouth v Cheltenham (7.45), Colchester v Gillingham (7.45), Hereford v Yeovil. RE-ARRANGED 15 Dec: Wigan v Bury.