Football: Round-up: Lilley gilds Leeds

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Leeds United's remarkable ability to give opponents a couple of goals' start and recover to win in the final quarter continued in the Yorkshire derby at Oakwell yesterday where they beat Barnsley 3-2 having trailed 2-0 in the 28th minute.

Leeds fell behind in the eighth minute when a long ball out of defence by the Barnsley captain, Neil Redfearn, caught the Leeds back four square and Andy Liddell ran on to score his first Premiership goal of the season after Nigel Martyn had parried his first effort. It was the fourth consecutive match in which Leeds had trailed and after another 20 minutes elapsed Ashley Ward made it 2-0, following up as Martyn parried Martin Bullock's shot.

The Leeds recovery started 10 minutes before the break when Alf Inge Haaland headed in Bruno Ribiero's in-swinging corner. Rod Wallace equalised on 79 minutes and then set up Derek Lilley, who had been on the pitch for only four minutes as a substitute, when he tapped in at the near post to complete the escape.

It was always going to be difficult for Ron Atkinson's unchanged Sheffield Wednesday side to recreate the mixture of exultation and relief that followed last Saturday's home win against Arsenal in the first game of his second spell as manager of the Owls. But do it they did in a dramatic 3-2 win against Southampton at The Dell.

Wednesday drew first blood after 28 minutes when their captain Peter Atherton headed in a corner by the former Southampton midfielder Jim Magilton. Before the game, Atkinson had expressed admiration of two of his former charges from his first spell at Hillsborough who were now Saints and his comments proved all too prophetic.

Three minutes after the restart the striker David Hirst thumped in Matthew Le Tissier's flick on for his fourth goal in six games. To add insult, Carlton Palmer put the Saints ahead with a fierce cross-shot from the right on 55 minutes. Wednesday looked finished but after 64 minutes, Atkinson sent on Wayne Collins in place of Magilton and four minutes later he sprinted clear to convert Paolo Di Canio's through ball. The Italian scored Wednesday's winner six minutes from the end.

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home, as West Ham United will confirm. After a run of matches away from Upton Park, all lost, the East Enders returned home to host Aston Villa, fresh from a reasonable result at Steaua Bucharest in the Uefa Cup Third Round first leg.

John Hartson, the Premiership's leading scorer, and Eyal Berkovitch, West Ham's Israeli schemer, where the architects of the Hammers' 2-1 win, Hartson scoring with emphatic shots both sides of Dwight Yorke's equaliser.

Villa were caught out when Hartson controlled a long clearance on his chest, ran into the Villa area and evaded a lunging tackle to beat Michael Oakes. It was his 15th goal of the season.

Two minutes into the second half, Villa got the equaliser their pressure had deserved but a minute Hartson's second goal won the game for the Hammers.

At Burnden Park, Nathan Blake scored the only goal in the 89th minute of a dour and gritty game to give Bolton Wanderers a rare win and three precious points against Wimbledon.