Football Round-up: O'Brien strikes to keep record

Click to follow
The Independent Online
AFTER A WEEK in which Britain's reputation in international club soccer fared only slightly better than its standing in the currency markets, Newcastle United are on the gold standard on and off the pitch. For the second week running the gates were closed long before kick-off at St James's Park as the First Division leaders attempted to maintain their 100 per cent record. Despite winning five corners in the first six minutes against Bristol City, United took 40 minutes to breach their defences. Patience was rewarded with goals from Liam O'Brien and top-scorer Gavin Peacock (penalty) just before half-time. The Magpies relaxed in the second period and goals by winger Franz Carr, a second Peacock penalty and a final strike by Kevin Brock sealed a comprehensive 5-0 win. City have conceded 10 in their last two games.

NOTTS COUNTY is clearly not a club to learn by the mistakes of its neighbours Forest, who sold an outstanding defender, Des Walker, and haven't stopped conceding goals since. County sold Craig Short to Derby last week and, you guessed it, let in six yesterday. Millwall were the happy recipients, Malcolm Allen and Phil Barber bagging two apiece. Wolves needed an 87th minute equaliser by Steve Bull, his second of the game, to force a point from Watford at Molineux and stay unbeaten.

FAMILIAR RING to Luton Town supporters' campaign demanding the resignation of managing director David Kohler. They held one last season while the club was being relegated and the complaints are much the same now. The club have made pounds 5 million profit on transfers since Kohler became involved, have been relegated, sacked a manager and lost a major sponsor as well as their best players. Supporters were urged to demonstrate after the Birmingham match which ended 1-1.

OSSIE ARDILES's Division Two leaders West Brom were beaten

4-3 at Stoke, now managed by his predecessor at Swindon, Lou Macari. Leyton Orient, who were second, lost at Exeter but there was no travel sickness for Stockport,

3-0 winners at Chester, and Swansea, who won 2-1 at Huddersfield and both leapfrog the O's. In the Third, York won. Again.

RANGERS went top in Scotland when they beat Hearts, who'd been level. Goals by Stuart McCall and Ally McCoist went unanswered. Celtic's defeats against Hibs and Cologne have left them, er, nervous, despite the return of veteran goalkeeper Pat Bonner. At bottom club Falkirk, Celtic's centre-back Tony Mowbray was sent off on 27 minutes, Tommy McQueen put Falkirk ahead from the resulting penalty but Darius Wdowczyk levelled, also with a penalty, a minute later. Henceforth, Serie A madness reigned. By 69 minutes, Falkirk were, amazingly, 4-2 ahead. Six minutes later, at 4-3, they had Forbes Johnston sent off and goals by Gerry Creaney, his second, and John Collins saw Celtic scrape home 5-4.