Football Round-Up: York go to court to keep Ward

Click to follow
YORK CITY celebrated their extraordinary 5-1 thrashing of Barnet at Underhill by slapping an injunction on John Ward, the manager who left them last week to take charge at Bristol Rovers. York's emphatic performance, the highlight of which was a Paul Barnes hat-trick, lifted them into the third automatic promotion place.

Ward had been in charge at Bootham Crescent without a contract since November 1991 but left on apparently amicable terms. Short-lived amity - the deal is now on ice for seven days, an unsettling situation for Rovers, who are bottom of the First Division.

Meanwhile, Malcolm Allison, who resigned as Rovers' coach when Ward was appointed, has eyes for the York coaching job. 'I am very interested in York City,' he said. 'It is only about an hour away from my home.'

A VERY BAD day for West Ham United. Their 1-0 defeat at Notts County was their first defeat in 15 games and Julian Dicks and Martin Allen, who were both booked, will be suspended for the matches against Millwall and Birmingham City. The Hammers' lead over Portsmouth, Millwall and Swindon Town was cut to six points after all three won.

Portsmouth's 1-0 win at Cambridge United came courtesy of a Gary Clayton own goal and Millwall beat big-spenders Derby County by the same margin at The Den, Malcolm Allen converting an injury-time penalty.

HEROICS at Bournemouth where, a minute into the second half, Second Division leaders Stoke City lost their goalkeeper, Ronnie Sinclair, with an ankle injury. Nigel Gleghorn took over between the sticks then Mark Stein put City ahead with a penalty after 69 minutes. Gleghorn held firm until a minute from time when Efan Ekoku spoiled the clean sheet.

BLACKBURN ROVERS this afternoon attempt to claw back a 4-2 Coca-Cola Cup semi-final deficit against Wednesday at Hillsborough. Full-back Alan Wright (stomach) and midfielder Gordon Cowans (thigh) face fitness tests. Wednesday's top-scorer, Paul Warhurst (knee), also has a late test. The Owls' other strikers, Mark Bright and David Hirst, are both fit but Warhurst, with 11 goals in 10 games, is the man in form. Full-back Nigel Worthington is suspended while midfielder John Sheridan (back) also has a late test.

AUSTRALIA, the host nation, and Ghana reached the semi- finals of the World Youth Championship yesterday after beating Uruguay and Russia respectively. Australia's 2-1 victory was the first match decided by sudden death extra-time. It was 1-1 after 90 minutes. Ten minutes into added time, Anthony Carbone headed home the historic goal. Australia now play either Brazil or the United States, whose quarter-final kicks-off at 11.30am GMT.

The Ghanaians won 3-0 and will play the winners of England v Mexico which, if you're a late riser, will be over by now. Kick-off time was 8.15am.