Football: Scottish Round-up: Celtic buffeted by turbulent times

Click to follow
SCOTTISH football's version of Gone With The Wind produced an inelegant afternoon in conditions most hated by professional football players. Gale-force winds ruined any chance of attractive football in most areas of the country and at Celtic Park and Brockville the winds were augmented by the hot air of disgruntled voices as the supporters of Celtic and Falkirk staged demonstrations, writes David McKinney.

Celtic refused to allow their season to improve and a dismal 0-0 draw with Partick Thistle was followed by loud jeers then demonstrations against the Celtic board.

Liam Brady, the Celtic manager, said: 'We've no excuses for that performance. The quality of play wasn't good enough. The final ball wasn't good enough. I was hoping that we'd follow up our performance against Aberdeen last week by offering the fans something a bit better than that.'

Similar scenes coloured the air at Brockville where the Falkirk support aired banners and chants against the father and son directors, Hamish and George Deans.

A 3-1 defeat by Motherwell did little to improve the mood of an angry crowd which stayed behind for half an hour to give their views.

The win, secured with two goals inside the first 11 minutes, gives Motherwell a record of just one defeat in 10 games and has put a smile back on the face of Tommy McLean, the Motherwell manager, who has recovered from a period of abuse from his own support.

While Rangers were drawing 0-0 at a windswept Tannadice, Eoin Jess and Scott Booth, the midweek heroes for Scotland against Malta at full and Under-21 level, scored the goals against St Johnstone to help Aberdeen whittle a point off the Rangers lead at the top.

The Pittodrie manager, Willie Miller, said: 'Jess was magnificent in the first half and scored a great goal before tiring a bit. It was good to have the luxury of Booth to come on and do his running.'

Simon Stainrod, the Dundee player-manager, displayed his skills in both jobs in helping his club consolidate their position. He scored his fifth goal of the season after six minutes and with the score 1-1 sent on the substitutes, Andy Dow and Andy Kiwomya, both of whom scored to secure a 3-1 win over Hibs, who had their goalkeeper Chris Reid carried off after an early challenge.