Ginola has found himself surplus to requirements at Newcastle since Kenny Dalglish replaced Kevin Keegan last season. The 30-year-old is believed to be available for pounds 2.6 million but has struggled to find any takers.
Newcastle claim they have only received one offer for Ginola from Greek side Olympiakos. Godalier said Ginola, who is currently holidaying in his hometown of Sainte-Maxime in the south of France, was hoping to tie up a three-year contract with Tottenham.
Everton look to have failed in a pounds 7.5m bid for Fabrizio Ravanelli. Ravanelli's agent, Alessandro Moggi, said the 28-year-old was "honoured" by the Goodison club's interest. But yesterday Ravanelli appeared to have changed his mind, after reportedly declaring: "There is only one club I will return to England for - Liverpool."
Howard Kendall's managerial return to Goodison Park has sparked a row with Sheffield United, the club he abandoned.
Bramall Lane officials have accused Everton of reneging on a gentleman's agreement for around pounds 500,000 in compensation following Kendall's move last month, and issued a writ and legal proceedings on Friday against Everton and Kendall.
At least Middlesbrough, resigned to losing Ravanelli, have something to celebrate after signing the former Spain captain Jose Maria Bakero. The 33-year-old midfielder could prove vital in helping Boro bounce back from Division One.
The Scotland striker Darren Jackson yesterday signed to Celtic from Hibernian for pounds 1.25million, becoming the new coach Wim Jansen's first buy.Reuse content