Football: Tackles from Hull

Click to follow
Salisbury 0

Hull 2

Rioch 55, McGinty 79

Attendance: 2,570

MANAGERLESS after the sacking of Mark Hateley on Tuesday and bottom of the Football League with 12 defeats already this season, Hull City restored a modicum of pride against Salisbury City of the Dr Martens League yesterday.

It was a match which had presented them with a golden opportunity to humiliate themselves further. But, instead, the Tigers of Hull clawed their way to victory at the tiny Raymond McEnhill Stadium in rural Wiltshire on a ground partly built with the remains from Millwall's old Den.

Salisbury started tentatively, obviously unsure what to expect against League opponents. Soon, however, they awoke to the fact that it was still, after all, a game of football and that Hull are not that good a team.

Geoff Butler, the Salisbury manager said: "The lads played against professional footballers and haven't been outclassed. The fairy-tale was there to happen but it didn't happen - we're disappointed but not disgraced."

The West Country side should have taken the lead after nine minutes when the midfielder Tyrone Bowers put Ian Chalk clean through, but his shot was saved by Hull's goalkeeper, Steve Wilson. From the resulting corner the header of centre-half Roger Emms was easily saved. Chalk was the most skilful player on view in the first period: nippy around the pitch and quick to the tackle. With better movement from their front players Paul Sales, and Neil Howsley, Salisbury could have taken advantage of the lumbering, and sometimes overly physical Hull defenders. One tackle on Adie Randall brought tears to the eyes.

Salisbury opened the second half brightly. Ferret played a measured ball down the left channel to Sales whose hesitation allowed Joyce to block his shot when he looked certain to score. The indecisive finishing was punished on 55 minutes when Hull took the lead.

Hocking cut inside his man and squared to Gregor Rioch on the edge of the box who, from 25 yards, buried the sort of sweet, left-footed shot his father would have been proud of. On 78 minutes Hull ended the tie after a whipped, inswinging corner from Neil Mann was bundled in by Brian McGinty.