Football: Todd makes it a family affair at Bolton

Click to follow
Bolton Wanderers have moved into the transfer market for the second time in 48 hours by signing Andy Todd, the 20-year-old son of Burnden Park assistant manager, Colin, from Middlesbrough for pounds 250,000. The deal for Todd takes the club's spending to pounds 1.75m this week, following the purchase of Gerry Taggart.

Todd Snr warned that his son would not be treated any differently from the other players at the club. "He'll get no favours from me," he promised. "He's my son, but is simply another player here and will be treated as such."

John Salako's on-off transfer to Coventry was on again yesterday after a specialist cleared doubts over his back condition. Salako's move from Crystal Palace was thrown into the balance when a back scan showed an irregularity, but the Highfield Road chairman, Bryan Richardson, said: "Everything has now been resolved. There was no great worry. We were just being cautious."

Bob Taylor, the West Bromwich Albion striker, has ended months of speculation about his future by agreeing a new three-year contract. There was more good news for The Hawthorns' club yesterday, when they received an undisclosed compensation payment from Tottenham in their long-running battle over the poaching of Osvaldo Ardiles in 1993.

Meanwhile, the compensation dispute between Hearts and Falkirk over the Tynecastle club's appointment of Jim Jefferies as manager is likely to be settled by an independent tribunal.

Jefferies left Falkirk on Monday, just 48 hours after telling Hearts he was rejecting their approach and would be staying at Brockville. The Falkirk chairman, George Fulston, yesterday met his Hearts counterpart, Chris Robinson, but they failed to agree a compensation figure.

"Chris and I are poles apart in terms of compensation," said Fulston, claiming that Jefferies is still an employee of his club and is now under suspension.

Manchester City are facing an injury crisis after Keith Curle joined their burgeoning casualty list in their friendly defeat by Wolves. Curle limped off after only 10 minutes at Molineux on Wednesday with an ankle injury.

Black market activity at last season's FA Cup final between Manchester United and Everton amounted to little more than pounds 50,000, compared to 15 times that figure seven years ago. The first final at which ticket touting was a criminal offence coincided with an increased allocation to the two finalists.