Football: United draw a blank

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Dundee United. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0

Rangers. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0

(First Edition)

RANGERS, the Scottish Premier League leaders, will be happy with an away point from a match in which the wind triumphed convincingly over entertainment. It was only the second time in 42 games this season that Rangers had failed to score.

Dundee United had the early pressure and Duncan Ferguson had a shot well held by Andy Goram. Ferguson then forced Goram to concede a corner with a firm header from Billy McKinlay's free-kick.

Neil Murray made Rangers' starting line-up because of injuries, and he proved his worth with a dangerous cross in the 12th minute. If Ally McCoist had shown his usual alertness he would have broken the deadlock. However, he hesitated and John Clark made a vital interception.

With the wind making passing unpredictable, chances were limited, but Mark Hateley powered a header wide and Ian Ferguson hit a low drive straight at Alan Main, the United keeper.

A mistake in the 38th minute by United's Scott Crabbe gave the ball away to Ian Ferguson, whose fierce drive cannoned off the foot of the post.

United failed to take advantage of playing with the wind in the second half. McKinlay had a shot blocked by Gary Stevens, and Scott Crabbe fired high.

Only in the last 10 minutes did United give Rangers cause for real concern. An error by Richard Gough put the ball in no man's land between Crabbe and Goram, but the keeper won the race. Paddy Connolly had a chance three minutes from time. He reacted quickly to a bad clearance, but shot wide.

Dundee United: A Main; M Perry, M Malpas, D Bowman, J Clark, D Narey, S Crabbe, B McKinlay, M O'Neill (J O'Neil, 85 min), D Ferguson, P Connolly. Sub not used: F van der Hoorn. Manager: J McLean.

Rangers: A Goram; G Stevens, D Robertson, R Gough, D McPherson, N Murray, S McCall, I Ferguson, A McCoist, M Hateley, P Huistra. Subs not used: S Nisbet, A Mikhailichenko. Manager: G Souness.

Referee: H Williamson (Renfrew).