Football: Vialli's warning for Leboeuf

GIANLUCA VIALLI insists that Frank Leboeuf has a future at Chelsea but has warned the Frenchman that he will not tolerate a repetition of his behaviour against Leeds.

Leboeuf's sending off against the Premiership leaders last Sunday - his second red card this season - prompted speculation that his Chelsea days might be numbered. The pounds 2.5m signing of the Brazilian centre-back Emerson Thome from Sheffield Wednesday ahead of Sunday's trip to Southampton has served to fuel those rumours. However, Vialli is adamant that Leboeuf is staying while stressing that he will not stand for any further outbursts of reckless indiscipline - from Leboeuf or any of his players.

"Frank Leboeuf is part of the club. He is going to stay here," Vialli said yesterday. "It might happen once, but then it can't happen again. I'm not going to have that as a manager. I don't want anybody to jeopardise our chances to win matches."

Regarding Emerson's signing, Vialli said: "We signed Emerson because of the situation we've got - we've a few injuries at the back."

Marcel Desailly has dismissed rumours that he is preparing to leave Stamford Bridge for Lazio. "There is nothing in the stories that I want to leave," he said. "Although I'm happy others may want me, I just want to stay and play for Chelsea."

Colin Hutchinson, the Chelsea secretary, said: "We have not received any approach for Marcel. I've spent a lot of time with the Lazio chairman during the Champions' League campaign and I know there has not been an approach."

One Chelsea player who is moving on, though perhaps temporarily, is midfielder Paul Hughes, who has been signed by Crewe on a three-month loan with a view to a permanent move. The 23-year-old has yet to play for the Blues this season and, with his contract running out in the summer, is looking for a new club.

West Bromwich Albion will end a week of boardroom turmoil this morning when they unveil a new chairman. Paul Thompson has been invited to replace Tony Hale who resigned as chairman last Friday. Thompson, the club's major shareholder, resigned as a director earlier this year before launching an unsuccessful bid to oust Hale at an EGM.

There have been rumours that Paul Gascoigne might be going to play in the United States, but he could be heading for London instead. Fulham are said to be planning a pounds 1m move for the Middlesbrough midfielder. Gascoigne, along with Ian Wright and Paul Ince, has been the target for Disney's World of Sport, who want the trio to play in exhibition matches, but the Fulham manager, Paul Bracewell, is keen to sign Gascoigne - though the deal may hinge on his side winning promotion to the Premiership.

The Huddersfield manager, Steve Bruce, went back to his old stamping ground yesterday, signing the Manchester United centre-half David May on loan. The highly rated youth team player John O'Shea is to sign for Mel Machin at Bournemouth in a similar deal.

O'Shea, a Republic of Ireland prospect, is tipped for a big future at United and will gain valuable first-team run-outs in the Second Division.

Tottenham supporters are demanding a public apology from the club following the 6-1 defeat at Newcastle in the FA Cup third-round replay on Wednesday night.

Mark Jacob, spokesman for the Tottenham Action Group, would also like to see supporters who travelled to St James' Park given their money back.