Football: Viduka talks of transfer to Spurs

Click to follow
The Independent Online
MARK VIDUKA'S troubled Celtic career could be over after barely half a season following his claim that Tottenham Hotspur are poised with a pounds 5m offer.

Both Celtic and Spurs say no approach has been made, but speaking in a television interview in Melbourne, where he is due to play for Australia against the Fifa All Stars on Saturday, Viduka said a move to the Premiership is an option he would consider.

"It's a good club and I'm flattered they've offered that sort of money for me," Viduka said. "It's every footballer's dream to play for a club like Tottenham. I suppose that's between the two clubs to decide and if something happens, that's good, but if it doesn't, I'm easy."

David Wetherall, the Leeds centre-back, is poised to complete a pounds 2m move to Huddersfield Town. Leeds have accepted an offer from the Terriers and Wetherall is discussing personal terms. Blackburn and Bradford City are believed to be monitoring the situation and ready to step in should Wetherall decide against a move to the McAlpine Stadium.

Leicester City have found out the names of five of their seven opponents for the two remaining Uefa Cup Fair Play places to be drawn tomorrow. The draw, which will take place at half-time of Switzerland's Euro 2000 qualifying game with Italy in Lausanne, has the Foxes against FK Bodo Glimt (Norway), MyPa (Finland), JK Tulevik Viljandi (Estonia), Orebro SK (Sweden) and SC Freiburg (Germany). The contenders from Ukraine and Denmark will be known once their respective domestic championships have been completed.

The Football League yesterday rejected demands from the Gillingham chairman, Paul Scally, for the Second Division play-off final with Manchester City to be replayed amid claims of impropriety against Mark Halsey, the match referee.

Scally was angered by reports that Halsey was seen with victorious City fans at a Wembley hotel, where he was staying, but a League statement said: "The League has concluded that nothing untoward occurred and was a result of nothing more than high spirits on behalf of supporters and Mark's presence in the bar area.

"With the official staying in the same hotel as a number of fans it was impossible for Mark Halsey to avoid contact with them."