Football: Wednesday exposed by Wallace double

Click to follow
Sheffield Wednesday 1 Leeds United 3

Two goals by Rod Wallace and a third from Bruno Ribeiro, Leeds United's pounds 500,000 summer signing from the Portuguese side Vitoria Setubal, gave Leeds victory in this volatile derby at Hillsborough.

Ribeiro drilled home a spelndid 37th-minute goal to put Leeds in command, following Wallace's eighth-minute opener.

Lee Bowyer's corner was flicked on by Ribeiro for the 27-year-old Wallace, who managed just three goals in the Premiership last season in his 22 appearances, to send a downward header from inside the six yard box past the Wednesday goalkeeper Kevin Pressman.

Pressman was left with no chance for United's second six minutes later as Ribeiro cracked in a left foot volley.

Wednesday's Italian connection - Paolo Di Canio and Benito Carbone - had gone close after just 40 seconds.

Di Canio, a club record pounds 4.5m signing from Celtic a week ago, pierced the Leeds rearguard with an incisive pass which was only half intercepted by the Dutch defender Robert Molenaar. The ball ran for Carbone, who fired in a shot which took a slight deflection before skidding past Nigel Martyn's right hand post.

But within 10 minutes of Leeds' opening goal, tempers frayed following David Robertson's late lunge on Carbone.

Di Canio immediately raced over to confront the Scottish defender and a bout of pushing and shoving started. Kelly tried to diffuse the situation by pulling Di Canio away but around 15 players became embroiled in a melee, leaving the referee Paul Durkin to book Di Canio and Kelly.

Wallace scored his second after 62 minutes before Graham Hyde's 90th- minute consolation for Wednesday.

Sheffield Wednesday: Pressman; Atherton, Walker, Stefanovic, Nolan, Di Canio, Blondeau, Humphreys, Collins, Carbone, Booth. Substitutes: Whittingham, Hyde, Clarke (gk), Oakes, Donaldson.

Leeds United: Martyn; Kelly, Robertson, Wetherall, Halle, Molenaar, Bowyer, Hopkin, Wallace, Hasselbaink, Ribeiro. Substitute: Haland, Beeney (gk), Lilley, Kewell, Laurent.

Referee: P A Durkin (Portland).