Blackburn's friendly against Dutch side NEC Nijmegen cancelled for fear of football violence
Sunday 05 August 2012
Blackburn's pre-season friendly with Dutch club NEC Nijmegen scheduled for this afternoon has been cancelled due to the threat of fan violence.
The decision was taken by the police and the local authorities in Nijmegen after it was claimed that Rovers supporters had been involved in disturbances in Deventer on Friday and Saturday.
In addition to the friendly, Nijmegen had been set to host a fans' open day, with the local authorities expecting around 8,000 visitors including families with young children.
A statement on the Gelderland-Zuid section of the http://www.politie.nl website read: "The deputy mayor of Nijmegen has decided to cancel the exhibition game between NEC and Blackburn Rovers. That match was due to be played today at 2.30pm during the annual open day of NEC.
"Supporters of the English club Blackburn Rovers were involved in rioting in Deventer on Friday and on Saturday there was a confrontation with supporters of NEC Nijmegen in the city.
"On the basis of serious signals to the police that a confrontation would take place again today, deputy mayor Henk Beerten in consultation with police, judiciary and mayor Hubert Bruls decided to cancel the match this afternoon.
"Today, some 8,000 visitors are expected at the open day of NEC which starts at 12.30pm, including many families with children.
"With the serious threat of unrest in the Goffertpark around the exhibition game, it is not sensible to play this game today."
A statement on the npower Championship club's official club website http://www.rovers.co.uk said: "Both clubs wish to express their disappointment that such a decision has been necessary."
NEC said in a statement that they regretted the decision to cancel the match, but understood it was taken with regard to safety
The news follows allegations of racist abuse against Newcastle's players during last night's goalless draw with another Eredivisie side, ADO Den Haag.
The Magpies confirmed to Press Association Sport last night that they would be addressing the issue "privately" with ADO, with the matter expected to be resolved early next week.
Latest in Sport
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track