AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi apologises for 'rotten apple' comments directed at Mario Balotelli
Manchester City striker has been linked with move to San Siro
Tuesday 15 January 2013
AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has apologised for calling Mario Balotelli “a rotten apple” but stopped short of declaring his interest in the Manchester City striker.
The former Inter Milan player has been linked with a January return to the San Siro after finding his chances limited at the Etihad Stadium, with a number of high-profile incidents heightening speculation he could soon call time on a two-and-a-half-year spell in Manchester.
But Berlusconi appeared to dispel any thoughts of a potential bid for the 22-year-old last week by calling Balotelli "a rotten apple", a phrase he retracted last night.
Speaking to Sky Italia, he said: "What I said was based on the fact that I feel positive people are useful in the changing room.
"I was not referring to Balotelli and I apologise if it is was taken as a slur against him.
"Could he still come to Milan? No one from my club has held any talks with him, and neither (vice-president Adriano) Galliani or I has identified him as a transfer target."
At last week's Ballon d'Or ceremony, Berlusconi had told reporters: "The name of Balotelli never came into my thoughts, he is a rotten apple and could infect every group where he goes, even Milan."
Milan appeared to be freeing up funds in a bid to capture the Italy international, a self-professed Rossoneri fan, by selling Alexandre Pato and Robinho to Corinthians and Santos respectively.
The former completed a 15million euro move but talks over Robinho's return to Brazil fell through, leaving Milan with four senior strikers and insufficient resources to prise Balotelli away from City for a reported asking price of £25million.
The Serie A club could still move for Empoli defender Riccardo Saponara or World Cup winner Cristian Zaccardo of Parma, though.
When asked whether Milan were likely to bolster their squad before the end of the current transfer window, Berlusconi tried hard to keep his own counsel.
"I hope so," he added. "I am pestering Galliani because there are a few players I would like us to sign, ones we could bring in by the end of January.
"I won't name names, I've been told not to. Galliani told me, 'President, don't name names if you want us to succeed'."
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits record low as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Germany sees 'visible rise' in support for far-right extremism in response to perceived 'Islamisation' of the West