Agent Mendes under fire for not taking Aguero to Real Madrid
Saturday 01 October 2011
Real Madrid will be without the France striker Karim Benzema tomorrow for the trip to play Espanyol amid claims that the club could this summer have signed Sergio Aguero, were it not for the Portuguese agent Jorge Mendes.
Claims by the Barcelona-based paper Sport suggest that, before his move to Manchester City in July, Aguero was lined up to go to the Bernabeu but when he refused to sign for Mendes' agency, Gestifute, which also takes care of Real coach Jose Mourinho, the doors to Madrid were closed to him.
Sport claims that Mourinho was interested last year in adding the striker to Benzema and Gonzalo Higuain, who will start tomorrow in the Frenchman's absence.
Aguero is alleged to have met Mourinho and Mendes in April to talk about moving from his agents IMG. He never made the switch and the attempts by the head of IMG, Bruno Satin, to work with Gestifute – with Peter Kenyon as intermediary – subsequently failed, leaving Manchester City as the player's next option.
Fifa is investigating an investment fund set up by Kenyon and Mendes for any conflict of interest. Some of the players involved are managed by Mendes, whose interest in moving them on could be increased if he stands to gain an investor's percentage from transfers.
In a recent attack on Real Madrid's current president, Florentino Perez, the club's former president, Ramon Calderon, made reference to the growing influence of Mendes saying: "Madrid has a boss and his name is Mendes."
The Portuguese agent has three other high-profile Real stars on his books including the utility player Fabio Coentrao, whose move to Madrid from Benfica in the summer for an estimated €30m (£27m) raised eyebrows among Real directors.
This weekend Barcelona, a point ahead of Real but one behind the early pace-setters Real Betis in La Liga, are at Sporting Gijon while Betis entertain Levante before Spain face the Czech Republic and Scotland in Euro 2012 qualifiers.
National team coach Vicente del Bosque named nine Barça players in his squad but there was no place for the leading Spanish goalscorer Roberto Soldado, suggesting Fernando Torres could be in line to start.
Latest in Sport
The muddy truth of the Christmas Truce game
Alexis Sanchez video: Turns out the Arsenal forward is brilliant at playing the piano too
James Milner lives up to 'boring' tag in brilliant Manchester City Christmas video
Premier League: Chelsea vs West Ham match preview
Sir Alex Ferguson on Jose Mourinho: 'He's good looking, speaks five languages, wins everything - it's unfair'
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever