Alex Ferguson admits making mistakes in Europe this season
Thursday 16 February 2012
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has conceded he got it wrong in Europe this season.
Instead of coasting through the group stages of the Champions League as usual, United ended up in a do-or-die confrontation with Basel in December which they were unable to conquer.
So, for the first time since 1995, tonight they will take part in a European competition other than the Champions League when they make their Europa League bow against Ajax in Amsterdam.
There are any number of reasons why it has come to this, most obviously an inability to beat Benfica or Basel in any of the four games United faced them in.
However, Ferguson also concedes his normal selection policy proved to be a handicap as well.
"Depending on our previous form in the group stages to make changes was working fine for us because our home record was always so good," he said.
"But we threw it away in our home game against Basel and were unlucky against Benfica.
"That caught us short and we suffered for it.
"Now players are coming back I am sure we can combine the Premier League and Europa League so I would certainly try to play my strongest team in each round now."
Whether than includes Paul Scholes remains to be seen.
The 37-year-old could be the only survivor from that away goals UEFA Cup first round exit to Rotor Volgograd 17 years ago.
So far Scholes has made seven appearances since his stunning retirement U-turn last month.
Already he has made such an impression that he is being talked of as a candidate for England's Euro 2012 squad.
Fabio Capello made a failed bid to lure Scholes back to the international stage prior to the last World Cup and at the weekend, the Italian's likely replacement Harry Redknapp claimed he would love to have Scholes in his squad.
But Ferguson does not feel there is any way the veteran midfielder will abandon an England exile that dates back to the immediate aftermath of Euro 2004, when he tired of being selected out of position by Sven-Goran Eriksson.
"Do you really honestly believe that? I don't think there's any chance," said Ferguson.
"His reason for refusing last time was that it was late in the day and he felt the it was fair for the players who had got them there to be involved.
"To play for England after eight years would be a big step. I think Paul will be concentrating [on United] if he decides to go on of course.
"That is not settled yet. But with the form he is showing at the moment, there is no reason for me to think he couldn't do another season."
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech 'to ask' for Arsenal move to keep his family in London
England 'favourites' to host 2018 World Cup after Sepp Blatter resignation - Qatar and Russia under pressure
Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez saves female fan from police in amazing gesture
Sepp Blatter quits as Fifa president live: Chuck Blazer exposes decades of bribery and back handers in explosive testimony
Brendan Rodgers' job safe for now but Liverpool owners plan for improvement
- 2 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 3 School kitchen manager 'fired from Colorado school for giving hungry students free lunches'
- 5 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers