Arsenal face major injury problems ahead of Porto clash
Tuesday 16 February 2010
Arsenal are without five first-team regulars for the Champions League trip to Porto.
Defender William Gallas (back), midfielder Alex Song (knee) and Andrey Arshavin (hamstring) were all absent from the 18-man squad which left Luton Airport this afternoon, as were goalkeeper Manuel Almunia and striker Eduardo (hamstring).
Veteran former captain Sol Campbell could be set for a first European appearance for the Gunners since the 2006 Champions League final defeat by Barcelona in Paris, while forward Carlos Vela returns from a knee injury.
Robin van Persie (ankle) and Johan Djourou (knee) are both long-term absentees.
Team (from): Fabianski, Clichy, Vermaelen, Campbell, Eboue, Nasri, Denilson, Fabregas, Diaby, Walcott, Bendtner, Mannone, Sagna, Silvestre, Traore, Vela, Ramsey, Rosicky.
Latest in Sport
WWE Raw results: Seth Rollins and Kane punish Dean Ambrose while Brock Lesnar receives a new Championship belt
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Manchester United transfer news: Sporting Lisbon confirm Marcos Rojo deal complete with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict