Athletic Bilbao rewarded with Schalke tie after defeating Manchester United
Friday 16 March 2012
Athletic Bilbao, conquerors of Manchester United, will face German side Schalke in the quarter-finals of the Europa League.
Sporting Lisbon, who held off Manchester City to clinch their place in the last eight, will play Ukrainian side Metalist Kharkiv.
Bilbao and Sporting could face each other in the semi-finals - their quarter-finals have been paired together.
Two other Spanish sides are also still in the Europa League - Atletico Madrid play German club Hannover in one quarter-final with the winners facing the victors of the other between Dutch side AZ Alkmaar and Valencia.
EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER-FINAL DRAW:
AZ Alkmaar v Valencia
Schalke v Athletic Bilbao
Sporting Lisbon v Metalist Kharkiv
Atletico Madrid v Hannover
::First legs to be played on March 29. Second legs to be played on April 5.
Atletico Madrid/Hannover v AZ Alkmaar v Valencia
Sporting Lisbon/Metalist Kharkiv v Schalke/Athletic Bilbao
::First legs to be played on April 19. Second legs to be played on April 26.
Latest in Sport
Sheffield United vs Tottenham match report: Christian Eriksen breaks hearts after Che Adams had brought Blades back from the brink
Gabriel Paulista: Talented Brazilian could grow into world-class defender at Arsenal
Australian Open 2015: Serena Williams vs Madison Keys match preview
Tottenham player ratings: Christian Eriksen? Harry Kane? Who was the star man at Bramall Lane?
Andy Murray vs Tomas Berydch: Murray cool over reunion with coach Dani Vallverdu at the Australian Open
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures