Athletic Bilbao rewarded with Schalke tie after defeating Manchester United
Friday 16 March 2012
Athletic Bilbao, conquerors of Manchester United, will face German side Schalke in the quarter-finals of the Europa League.
Sporting Lisbon, who held off Manchester City to clinch their place in the last eight, will play Ukrainian side Metalist Kharkiv.
Bilbao and Sporting could face each other in the semi-finals - their quarter-finals have been paired together.
Two other Spanish sides are also still in the Europa League - Atletico Madrid play German club Hannover in one quarter-final with the winners facing the victors of the other between Dutch side AZ Alkmaar and Valencia.
EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER-FINAL DRAW:
AZ Alkmaar v Valencia
Schalke v Athletic Bilbao
Sporting Lisbon v Metalist Kharkiv
Atletico Madrid v Hannover
::First legs to be played on March 29. Second legs to be played on April 5.
Atletico Madrid/Hannover v AZ Alkmaar v Valencia
Sporting Lisbon/Metalist Kharkiv v Schalke/Athletic Bilbao
::First legs to be played on April 19. Second legs to be played on April 26.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?