Avram Grant takes charge at Partizan Belgrade
Friday 13 January 2012
Partizan Belgrade have named Avram Grant as their new coach after sacking Aleksandra Stanojevic over a dispute with the club's board.
Grant, the former Chelsea, Portsmouth and Israel boss, returns to management a little over six months after being sacked by West Ham following their relegation from the Barclays Premier League.
Stanojevic was sacked, despite the defending Serbian champions sitting 10 points clear in the league after 15 games, after what the club described as "violations of the statute and general laws of the club".
"The weight and breach of contractual obligations is such that there has been a permanent and complete distortion of relations and cooperation between the board of the club and Aleksandra Stanojevic and his work at FC Partizan is no longer possible."
The statement added: "The board of directors is confident that Avram Grant is at the top of his profession and can achieve the results that are expected from our army of fans."
According to reports in Serbia, Grant has been offered substantial bonuses if the club qualifies for next season's Champions League.
Latest in Sport
How Manchester United manager David Moyes must wish for some of Manuel Pellegrini’s problems
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
World Cup 2014: Your guide to Group A - Brazil; Croatia; Mexico; Cameroon
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Arsenal vs Everton: Let loan players take on their parent clubs, says Arsène Wenger
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail