Barcelona agree to sign Ibrahim Afellay
Tuesday 16 November 2010
Barcelona have confirmed that they have reached an agreement with PSV Eindhoven to sign Netherlands midfielder Ibrahim Afellay in the January transfer window.
The 24-year-old’s current contract runs out at the end of the season and with Afellay announcing that he wouldn’t sign a new deal, PSV are being forced to sell now to avoid the player leaving on a free transfer in the summer.
A club statement from Barcelona read: “PSV Eindhoven and Barcelona have reached an agreement on a deal to bring Ibrahim Afellay to Barca, subject to successfully settling personal terms between the player and the Catalan club over the coming weeks.
“Until the deal is finally settled, Ibrahim Afellay wishes to concentrate on the upcoming important games for PSV.”
The likes of Real Madrid, Arsenal and Juventus had also been linked with an interest in Afellay.
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match due to muscle injury
Mario Balotelli posts hilarious Beatles picture on Instagram as he awaits Liverpool debut
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
Champions League draw: Liverpool meet Real Madrid, but should they fear facing the reigning champions?
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live