Barcelona refuse to play Spanish Super Cup in China
Wednesday 17 October 2012
Barcelona will not play the Spanish Super Cup in Beijing next year if they qualify for the season-opener between La Liga's champions and the King's Cup winners.
The Spanish football federation has signed a preliminary seven-year deal with a Chinese promoter worth almost £33m. But Barcelona will not play "far away from the club members... for social and sporting reasons".
Latest in Sport
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote