Barcelona reveal that £15m signing Thomas Vermaelen remains injured
The La Liga side bought the defender from Arsenal despite a hamstring problem
Monday 11 August 2014
Barcelona have confirmed that new £15 million signing Thomas Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury and will have to wait before he starts training with his new team.
The 28-year-old was presented at the Nou Camp on Sunday after completing his move from Arsenal to the Catalan side and admitted he was not yet 100 percent fit after getting injured during Belgium's 1-0 win over Russia in the World Cup, which meant the defender played just 29 minutes of football in Brazil.
The former Arsenal captain added he hoped to "start from zero" after missing most of last season with the Gunners due to a series of injuries but joins Barca as an injured player.
A statement from Barcelona said: "Thomas Vermaelen injured his right hamstring during the World Cup in June. The player will undergo physiotherapy, and the evolution of the injury will determine when he returns to training."
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Chelsea: Mutual contempt burns as rivals Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho face off again
Memphis Depay to Manchester United: Striker 'arrives in England' for talks over £25m switch
Wayne Rooney is Premier League's richest footballer with £72million worth but Lewis Hamilton leads the Sunday Times Rich List
Memphis Depay to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal faces difficult task as Liverpool hold 'secret' meeting with transfer target
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
- 1 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 2 Black Mass trailer: Johnny Depp might have started making good films again
- 3 Jacob Lescenski and Anthony Martinez: Straight student asks gay friend to High School prom and makes a million Twitter friends
- 4 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove