Barcelona's Abidal set for 2012 comeback following liver transplant
Sunday 05 August 2012
Barcelona defender Eric Abidal is hopeful of a return to action before the end of the year.
The 61-cap France international has been out of action since undergoing a liver transplant in April, having undergone treatment on a tumour last year.
He recovered from the original treatment before the end of the 2010-11 season and lifted the Champions League Trophy after Barca's victory over Manchester United, and was cleared to do so again by his doctors.
And he told the club's official website: "I have started working in the gym and I feel fine. I will keep progressing and see if I can play before December.
"I'm better than three months ago. I am following the guidelines that the doctors have given me and the truth is I feel fine.
"I travel and enjoy being around the team and that environment."
Barca have signed Spain international Jordi Alba to operate in Abidal's usual left-back position, although the 32-year-old's versatility also allows him to play in central defence should new coach Tito Vilanova wish to use the pair in the same line-up.
Latest in Sport
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict