Bayern Munich midfielder Franck Ribery to miss Champions League tie against Arsenal
Frenchman will miss second leg tie with ankle injury
Monday 11 March 2013
Franck Ribery has been ruled out of the second leg of Bayern Munich's Champions League tie with Arsenal on Wednesday with an ankle injury, his club have confirmed.
The France international suffered a ligament strain in his left ankle during his side's 3-2 win over Fortuna Dusseldorf on Saturday.
Midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger and defender Jerome Boateng, who are banned, will also miss the match at the Allianz Arena.
Bayern hold a 3-1 lead from the away leg, though, to put themselves in pole position for a place in the quarter-finals.
Bayern are also sweating on the fitness of Arjen Robben, who was not involved at the weekend because of a calf problem.
The German giants have plenty of strength in depth, though, with the likes of Luiz Gustavo and Xherdan Shaqiri ready to come in.
Latest in Sport
Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3: Steven Gerrard says Liverpool were 'upset' after Old Trafford win, because 'we didn't score more goals'
Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3: Wayne Rooney claims 'that was my worst day in football' following humiliation at Old Trafford
Tottenham 0 Arsenal 1 match report: Tomas Rosicky rocket sees Arsenal open up gap from Spurs in Premier League table
Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3 match report: Steven Gerrard scores twice from the spot before Luis Suarez strike to punish woeful champions at Old Trafford
Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3 - player ratings: Who scored highest at Old Trafford - Steven Gerrard or Luis Suarez?
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say