Bayern Munich v Manchester United: Allianz Arena to be partially closed as punishment for homophobic banner during Arsenal tie
The Champions League quart-final match will have a reduced capacity
Monday 24 March 2014
Bayern Munich have been fined €10,000 (£8,340) and ordered to close part of their stadium for next Tuesday’s Champions League match against Manchester United after a group of fans displayed a homophobic banner during their recent tie against Arsenal.
UEFA's control and disciplinary body ordered that the section of the stadium where the banner was displayed should be closed for the second leg against United.
The club have also been fined 10,000 euros for the "discriminatory behaviour" over the banner, which also targeted Arsenal's German midfielder Mesut Ozil.
UEFA said in a statement that as a result of "Bayern supporters... displaying of an illicit banner, the UEFA control and disciplinary body has decided to order the partial closure of the [stadium] in particular, the closure of sector 124 for Bayern's next UEFA competition home match, namely their UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg against Manchester United on April 9."
Latest in Sport
Manchester United's best XI of the season so far: No place for Angel Di Maria or Juan Mata
Hector Bellerin opens up on switch from Barcelona to Arsenal
WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
WrestleMania 31: What time does it start? Full match card and preview ahead of WWE event
WrestleMania 31: Undertaker begins a new streak after tombstoning Bray Wyatt
- 1 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 2 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 3 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 4 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
- 5 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew