Beckham 'close' to AC Milan return
Monday 05 October 2009
England midfielder David Beckham has revealed he is 'close' to agreeing a return to AC Milan.
The veteran maintained his place in the England squad after spending the second half of the 2008-09 European season on loan at Milan from Los Angeles Galaxy.
The 34-year-old is desperate to retain his place in the international fold ahead of next summer's World Cup and has revealed that talks over returning to the San Siro when the Major League Soccer season ends later in the year have started.
"There are other options available, but none that will stop me going to Milan," said Beckham. "It is close to being finalised."
AS Roma’s star forward Francesco Totti is set for around three weeks on the sidelines due to a knee injury.
The 33-year-old was injured after scoring both goals in the 2-1 victory over Napoli, with subsequent tests showing no serious damage.
Roma’s chief of medical staff Professor Pierpaolo Mariani confirmed: “Totti had a small trauma, but it's nothing serious.
“There is no bruising, no tear and we will see him again in three days' time. He will wear a special protective shield over his knee.
“If there are no complications, then we should see him back on the field in 15-20 days. There is no ligament damage and I'm relaxed.”
Veteran midfielder Patrick Vieira has admitted that he may be forced to leave Internazionale in the near future in order to secure regular first-team football.
The 33-year-old is concerned at losing his place in the French national team, with the World Cup finals in South Africa looming on the horizon.
Vieira told L'Equipe: "The discussion with Jose Mourinho left me thinking that it was the right decision to stay. Instead today the situation is more complicated because I don't play.
"I'll continue working, I don't want to arrive at a decision before December. If things don't change then I will make a decision - I could leave in January."
The future of Lazio’s Goran Pandev remains in doubt, with the FYR Macedonia striker having yet to feature for the Serie A club this season.
The 26-year-old is seeking a move away after talks over a new contract failed to reach a conclusion, but one of his representatives, Carlo Pallavicino, has refused to be drawn on the likely outcome.
He told Violanews.com: “I prefer not to comment on the transfer rumours regarding a negotiation between Fiorentina and Lazio for Pandev.
“In general I've chosen not to speak about the player's situation, which is very delicate and complex.”
Lazio president Claudio Lotito had earlier admitted that he was not sure how things would pan out, with a legal battle one possible scenario.
He told Sportal: “I don't know how it will end, I'm not a fortune teller.
“The case has a judicial process and we will see the results. It's clear that Lazio will forward their arguments through legal instruments and won't be helpless in this matter.”
Latest in Sport
England vs New Zealand second Test match report: England’s bold boast turns into hot air and humiliation
Fifa corruption: Sepp Blatter's right-hand man Jerome Valcke 'sent' $10m payment to Jack Warner in letter from the South African FA
England 'favourites' to host 2018 World Cup after Sepp Blatter resignation
Michael Schumacher: Bernie Ecclestone reveals why he can't visit former F1 champion because he 'doesn't want to see him like that'
Brendan Rodgers' job safe for now but Liverpool owners plan for improvement
- 1 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 3 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
- 5 We have six months to save the world, says leading economist
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers