Berlusconi says AC Milan should have used his tactics
Friday 05 June 2009
Owner Silvio Berlusconi claims AC Milan would have been more successful this season had they heeded his advice.
Milan laboured to a third-placed finish in Serie A and took until the final day of the season to secure a Champions League place, much to the dismay of Berlusconi.
In a thinly-veiled attack on recently departed coach Carlo Ancelotti, the Italian prime minister said: "This season Milan didn't play with the tactics I suggested.
"They only did so in the last game which allowed us to qualify for the Champions League.
"Games were lost because in the last minutes the team failed to play the way I advised.
"We have champions like Ronaldinho who was only used in the last 20 minutes of games and this led to him losing morale.
"People buy their ticket to see Ronaldinho on the pitch for the whole match."
Meanwhile, AS Roma coach Luciano Spalletti has signed a new two-year contract to end rumours of him leaving the Serie A club this summer.
The 50-year-old, who has been in charge at the Stadio Olimpico for four years, had come under pressure after Roma finished sixth in the league this season, but he has now extended his reign.
He told Sky Italia: "I stayed for Roma's sake. My stay in Rome only depends on my desire, because I can always do what I want.
"The motivation, the desire, should be the primary qualities, especially ahead of next season.
"The fans? They should feel involved. Our fans have to be on our side, we have to tell them things correctly, because they are our primary strength."
Spalletti had been linked with the Juventus managerial post in recent weeks, before the Turin club denied any interest in the highly-rated tactician.
In other news, veteran midfielder Pavel Nedved has hinted that he may continue his career next season, despite having looked like retiring after leaving Juventus at the end of the current campaign.
The 36-year-old Czech Republic international has been linked with a possible return to former club Lazio in recent times.
He told Denik Sport: "I have to think about it and I have to stay calm, because now I am starting again from zero.
"I have had many offers both to play and to do other things. For sure, I will not stay out of work.
"I am not in a hurry, but I never say never. It's a difficult decision, I only know that my agent is not finished with Italian football.
"The situation is confused. It's useless to say that it is the absolute end."
Bologna have confirmed that coach Giuseppe Papadopulo is to stay on next season.
Papadopulo guided the Rossoblu to Serie A survival on the final day of the season and has been rewarded with a 12-month extension.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland