Bremen braced for Ozil exit
Tuesday 10 August 2010
Werder Bremen director of sport Klaus Allofs has confirmed Mesut Ozil could be leaving the club this summer.
Reports in Spain today suggested Barcelona have reached an agreement to sign 21-year-old Ozil, who impressed during Germany's World Cup campaign.
Manchester United are also reported to be interested in Ozil with their manager Sir Alex Ferguson present at Bremen's recent friendly match with Fulham, while Chelsea are another club to have been linked with a move for the midfielder.
Allofs told the Kreiszeitung Syke newspaper: "It is possible that there is now a bit of movement in the issue.
"But I am not running backwards and forwards to the fax machine or getting sweaty palms when I check my emails to see if maybe an offer has arrived."
Since Ozil has turned down a new contract with Bremen, the Bundesliga club are expected to sell him rather than risk losing him on a free transfer next year.
Latest in Sport
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God