Cannavaro in talks with Juventus

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Fabio Cannavaro’s agent is in talks with Juventus over a return to Italy for the veteran Azzurri captain, who is coming to the end of his contract with Real Madrid.

The 35-year-old left Juve and headed to Spain in the summer of 2006, but a Serie A return has been mooted more and more strongly in recent times.



Cannavaro's agent, Enrico Fedele, told Radio Kiss Kiss: "After the end of January I was able to start listening to offers for Fabio.



"But I have to stress that until a month ago no offers had arrived from Italy and the most concrete approaches were from England, France and Russia.



"Then, a month ago, Juventus asked if Fabio was still available and we began discussions after I had spoken to the player.



"Juve behaved totally correctly and approached Real Madrid first. There is still a lot to discuss, but Real have received a fax from Juventus.



"I think that the Turin club have a big project that demands immediate investment and they have the chance to sign an idol for free."



Meanwhile, Juve will have to play one game behind closed doors as a punishment for racist chanting during the weekend clash with Internazionale.



Inter forward Mario Balotelli was jeered during Saturday's 1-1 draw in the Stadio Olimpico, with a section of fans clearly being seen hurling racial taunts towards the Italy Under-21 international.



Those actions have led to sporting judge Gianpaolo Tosel imposing a one-match ban on Juve's fans, with the clash against Lecce on May 3 to be played in front of empty stands.



Inter president Massimo Moratti had earlier voiced his disgust at what went on during the Derby d'Italia, telling Il Corriere della Sera: "If I had been present in Torino I would have retired the team.



"The most terrible aspect of this event is that the racist chants were sung with pride, there was a clear desire to offend."



AC Milan's Brazilian superstar Kaka has again insisted that his long-term future lies at the San Siro.



The 26-year-old forward almost left Italy to join Manchester City in a world record deal in January, before deciding to stay put.



More recently Kaka has been mentioned as Real Madrid's main transfer target for next summer, but the South American is as committed as ever to the Rossoneri.



He commented: "I have already said and already shown that I am committed to this club, so there is nothing else to add.



"I truly enjoy myself at the San Siro and am happy with the support I receive here."



He had earlier been quoted as telling Nemzeti Sport: "I said no to the offer from Manchester City because I think I will have lots of success here with AC Milan.



"After I've received so much from Milan, it was essential for me to stay.



"It's hard to say anything about the future because football is the game of the moment, so I can just talk about my present feelings.



"Real Madrid is an amazing team with outstanding players, but I'd never say that I want to leave Milan."

Comments