Champions League: Boost for Celtic as Lionel Messi is ruled out of tie for Barcelona
The Catalan club insist they are more than a one-man team
Monday 30 September 2013
Despite Lionel Messi suffering a thigh injury that has ruled him out for up to three weeks, Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has claimed that the side are not a one-man team, although he has conceded it is a blow to be without the Argentinian for the Champions League trip to Celtic.
Messi picked up the injury during the 2-0 La Liga victory over Almeria on Saturday, limping out of the affair eight minutes after he opened the scoring on the 21-minute mark. The Ballon d’Or holder was replaced by Xavi, and the Catalans went on to set a club record of seven successive league win at the beginning of their campaign.
Messi has been at his usual lethal best during the run, scoring eleven goals in seven appearances in all competitions, and his loss is a major setback to manager Gerardo Martino as he looks to keep the reigning champions top of the Primera Division.
But Zubizarreta does not want Messi’s absence to have an effect on the club’s run of form, with the club signing Brazilian star Neymar for £48m in the summer.
"He's a very difficult player to replace," Zubizarreta told reporters ahead of Barcelona’s flight to Glasgow.
"We must do without the best player in the world, but we have a squad with extraordinary players. The players who are here are very good and we have to play with what we have."
Celtic earned a famous victory over their upcoming opponents in last season’s European campaign, when goals from Victor Wanyama – now at Southampton – and Tony Watt saw off a late consolation from Messi and send the watching Celtic Park crowd into fits of celebration.
Zubizarreta has admitted that he is looking forward to the atmosphere that the fans and the stadium brings to the tournament, but has also claimed that the Spanish club are not thinking about revenge ahead of Tuesday’s clash.
"It's always a pleasure to play at Celtic Park," he said.
"We're expecting a great atmosphere against an opponent who made things very difficult for us last year.
"They showed they knew how to play and knew how to beat us. They are very strong on their ground and they look to play with a lot of pressure.
"We know how we must play. Revenge? No. We're going there to enjoy this game, this atmosphere. We'll see what happens."
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Latest in Sport
Comment: David Moyes paying the price of Manchester United's virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Transfer news: Manchester United will not be forced into panic buys, says David Moyes
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent